Xylitol Danger to Dogs
Every day I'll make a stop or two at a Starbucks or other coffee
bar order up a cup of java kick back for a few minutes to
recharge my batteries.
Before I commence to "kicking back" I make sure to add some
half and half and a handful of sweeteners to the cup. Unlike my
wife who mysteriously finds back coffee palatable I can't get it past
my lips without disguing the bitteness and taste beyond
Certainly I am aware of the myriad of health warnings about
artifical and other sweeteners. But to date I have merrily chugged
along, enjoying my brew, oblivious to the consequences.
Until Now.... I was recently directed to an article pointing out
the danger to dogs hidden in one of the most prominent artificial
sweeteners, Xylitol...now you have my attention !
So,exactly what is Xylitol, anyway?
Xylitol is a sugar substitute used by diabetics and dieters.
But safe for all it is NOT!
It's a sugar compound derived from the Birch tree, that reserachers
have determined is 100 percent LETHAL to dogs.
Ingesting a big quantity of Xylitol is not necessary to be dangerous
or worse... one sugar free cupcake may be sufficient to cause
serious or permanent damage or even be fatal.
So, What Happens if Your Dog Eats Something Containing Xylitol?
After eating or ingesting food containing Xylitol the consequences
can be fast and frightening.
Your dog's blood sugar may start to plunge causing immediate
complications such as seizures, liver toxicity and clotting.
Dr. Patty Khuly at petmd.com whose article inspired this issue
"As if that wasn't enough to strike fear into the heart of any dog
lover, the additional danger in Xylitol is three-fold:
1.Only small quantities are needed to do serious damage
2.Xylitol is found in an increasing number of consumer products and
foodstuffs (kid's vitamins, mints, gums, toothpaste, sugar-free baked
3.Most dog owners don't yet know about it
As a veterinarian, the latter hazard seems most pressing to me.
After all, if you have no idea that Starbucks mints contain Xylitol,
you won't be so careful about where you leave your purse. If you
don't know that a sugar-free cupcake contains it, you might not
think twice about throwing a stale one your dogs' way--or leaving
the box on the counter.
Not until your dog starts seizuring, as her blood sugar drops, will
you begin to wonder what could have led to her physiological
This is really scary stuff. More so because many veterinarians are
still in the dark about Xylitol, its effects and its prevalence.
A seizuring dog? Could be from anything. Unless you're asked about
specific food poisons, you might not think to check if your gum is
still in your pocket. You might have forgotten about the pastry,
stressed out as you now are.
Which begs the question: Should these products be labeled "unsafe
for canine consumption"?
Though I'd like that to be the case, it's not happening anytime soon.
After all, chocolates and grapes don't host warning labels. Because
ultimately, it's up to YOU to know better. And now you do.
Spread the word among your dog-loving friends. Read your labels.
Don't buy these products unless you truly need them in your diet
(until they switch to another sweetener choice). Inform your family.
And, if you choose to use these products, be very careful where
you leave them.
Finally, feel free to lobby your local Starbucks to substitute
Xylitol for safer sweeteners in their mints and gums.
Tell Flintstone's their vitamins need not contain it. Send out
emails to companies who use Xylitol in their product lines.
Learn how to take care of your dog at home in case of an emergency
and stop paying explosive and unnecessary veterinary bills
by visiting: http://www.dogs-4life.com/veterinary-secrets.html
Disclosure- If you purchase this product or service, we will
be compensated. Do your own due diligence